One main reason why I was able to fly under the radar with my ADHD for so long is because of my ability to compensate for or "mask" my symptoms, usually by overworking myself. Because it has "worked" for me for so many years, it's a difficult habit to break in order to create a better balance in my life and address what's actually happening with me.
My oldest sister tagged me in an Instagram post made by @humanity_hive, which often posts about ADHD symptoms, coping skills, things to look out for/change, and more, and the description in the post touches on this very subject:
Sound like you? Killin yourself so that nobody can say anything negative about you? Overworking to hide "flaws?" Doing more than others to "make up for your ADHD?" If I do the most and work the hardest then I'm safe? (Essentially avoiding any possibility of shame or criticism)
Is it worth it? When you step back to evaluate all you're trying to do by masking, how is it affecting you?
That hit home for me and caused a lot of reflection. How do I continue to "mask," even now? What can I do differently? What are some things I can let go of the ideal of perfection and just enjoy doing?
What does all of that look like for you?
Let's let go of our masking tactics, and until we're able to fully do that, hang in there. You've got this.
No comments:
Post a Comment